Just as every person needs a good doctor, every Ford owner in Sacramento needs a reliable and honest mechanic. Following are a few tips as outlined by The California Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair for picking a mechanic.
How to Select a Shop for Repairs
- Select a shop before you need one. It is easier and more economical to find a good, reliable mechanic when you are not desperate.
- Ask friends, family and other Ford owners for recommendations. Personal referrals are always a great way to get honest feedback about service and customer satisfaction.
- The web is your friend. Sites like Yelp, Angie’s List, and Edmunds are great resources to check shop reviews. Here you can find information to help you narrow down you choices by both reviews and location.
- Always ask if the mechanic shop is licensed. All shops must be licensed by the State of California. You can check the station’s license by visiting the site.
- Know your rights as a consumer. By law, the shop must provide you with a written estimate before doing any work on your car. After you receive the estimate, feel free to go to another shop to compare.
All auto repair shops in California must be registered with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and every repair shop must post this sign to inform customers of their rights. If you don’t see this sign, ask about it.
THIS ESTABLISHMENT IS REGISTERED WITH THE
STATE DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR
ACT OF 1974, A CUSTOMER IS ENTITLED TO
- A WRITTEN ESTIMATE FOR REPAIR WORK.
- A DETAILED INVOICE OF WORK DONE AND PARTS SUPPLIED.
- RETURN OF REPLACED PARTS, IF REQUESTED AT THE TIME A WORK ORDER IS PLACED.
QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE ABOVE SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE MANAGER OF THE REPAIR FACILITY.
UNRESOLVED QUESTIONS REGARDING SERVICE WORK MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT THE
BUREAU OF AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR AT
(TOLL-FREE) 1-800-952-5210, MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
OR VISIT THE BUREAU’S WEBSITE AT WWW.AUTOREPAIR.CA.GOV
It is advisable to do an on-sight visit of your potential repair shop. High quality establishments will not mind and even encourage you to stop in. Once you are there:
- Check out the shop’s appearance; make sure it is clean and well organized. Make note if customers are smiling and the staff is polite.
- Look for posted terms and conditions. A good shop should have their terms and conditions, including labor rates and guarantees posted for consumers.
- Locate the Bureau of Automotive Repair sign. All auto repair shops in California must be registered with BAR, and every repair shop must post a sign to inform customers of their rights.
- Ensure the mechanic(s) are ASE certified. ASE promotes excellence in auto repair and service. To protect the automotive service consumer, shop owner, and the automotive technician, ASE tests and certifies automotive professionals so that shop owners and service customers can better gauge a technician’s level of expertise before contracting the technician’s services. ASE certifies the automotive technician professional so they can offer tangible proof of their technical knowledge. ASE Certification testing means peace of mind for customers. All ASE Certified mechanics will proudly display the ASE Blue Seal at their location.
Once You Select a Shop
- First, have the shop do a minor repair or just an oil change. If you’re happy with the service during a minor repair or routine service, you will be more comfortable bringing in your car for more extensive service.
- Remember that a technician must get your consent for additional repairs.
- Never be intimidated by car jargon. Ask questions until you clearly understand what the technician wants to do to your car.
Following these recommendations will help you find a trustworthy auto repair shop for your Ford that will give you excellent service and peace of mind. If you live in the Sacramento area and are looking for a service center you can trust, visit or call Stand Auto Care. Our staff would be delighted to meet you, show you around the shop and answer any questions regarding our facility and our Ford services.